Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Jill Carrol's Story: Parts VI, VII, VIII



In Part VI of her story, Jill Carrol writes about her interactions with the wife of one of her captors, and the lack of sympathy she received from the woman. Carrol writes about being forced to study and recite verses from the Koran:

Part of Um Ali's growing hardness toward me came as I tried to let her know that, despite the many hours of reciting the Koran with her, I didn't plan to convert to Islam.

In the beginning I was an eager student, as I saw how much it pleased them whenever I showed an interest in learning. But I soon realized I had made a dangerous mistake.

The more I let my captors teach me, the more they expected me to convert. After a few weeks, the question was always, "Why haven't you come to Islam yet?"

I tried to put the brakes on delicately, afraid of what they might do if they thought I was rejecting Islam. How could I tell them that adopting a new religion and code for living wasn't possible when I was held captive, racked with despair, and in fear daily for my life?

One afternoon, when I was exhausted from listening to Um Ali repeat verses of the Koran over and over so I could memorize them, I said, "I don't understand the Arabic in the Koran, and so I can't understand what it really means."

"We'll bring you an English Koran," said Abu Ali, who had overheard me. "You want this?"

They were always insisting that they didn't want to pressure me into converting, while at the same time asking me why I hadn't converted yet.

"Oh, sure," I said.

Abu Ali whipped out his cellphone, and made a call. "You have a Koran in English?" he said. "Quickly, quickly, bring it."

He sounded almost frantic as he gave the person on the other end of the line directions about where to meet him.

After about 20 minutes he returned, bearing a small, green Koran. Emblazoned in gold on the cover was "Le Qur'an." It was a French translation - not an English one.

Later, I tried telling Um Ali, gently, that I probably wasn't going to convert after all.

She said she would be angry if I didn't convert, given the time she had spent teaching me.

"We are afraid for you and don't want you to go to hell," she said. "We are afraid that we'll see you [on Judgment Day] and you'll say, 'Why didn't you save me?' "


In Part VII, Carrol writes about passing time in small locations where she was periodically held, about her captors' reactions to various people calling for her release, and about discovering that the release of a handful of Iraqi women would make it more difficult for her captors to justify killing her.

In Part VIII, Carrol writes about the emergence of conflict between her captors and Shiites and how it impacted the importance of her captivity.

Today:
Part VI: Reciting Koranic Verses
Part VII: False Hopes
Part VIII: A New Enemy

Previous:
Index
Introduction: 82 Days in Captivity
Part I: The Kidnapping
Part II: Spy With A Homing Device
Part III: The First Video
Part IV: A Mother As A Suicide Bomber
Part V: Mujahideen Movies

Next: Part IX: The Muj Brothers

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read her story in our local paper; made for a gripping read.

9:29 PM  
Blogger 梁爵 said...

2019.11.27知名酒店經紀公司數據統計調查顯示,有39.6%酒店上班族認為本身工時過長。但也有52.4%大學生酒店打工認為工時剛好,滿意目前酒店兼差工作狀態。而調查對象中的制服店、便服店、禮服店、鋼琴酒吧、日式酒店、飯局、傳播等八大行業工作人員每天平均工時落在8.7小時,與目前勞基法規定的每周工作總時數不得超過49小時相去不遠。知名酒店經紀指出,有29.2%酒店兼職受訪者每個月「不用加班」,另有61.8%則每個月都要加班,而平均加班時數為20.6小時。又從「坐檯陪酒或色情之伴遊、伴唱、伴舞、顏射(精子射在臉上) 、口交口爆(精子射在嘴裡) 、戴套肛交進行交易專業精緻化等行為」交叉分析可以發現,擔任「酒店小姐」最難為,加班的頻率及時數,高居之冠,成為最辛苦的職場族群。

9:23 AM  
Blogger 梁爵 said...

2020.08.25不敢來酒店上班-酒店打工的原因一般人的觀念裡酒店是一個複雜、不好的環境,酒店小姐的基本介紹跟工作內容其實在酒店上班沒什麼不好,我在酒店上班的日子工作性質跟一般在聊天的美眉是同性質的。
例如:像跟一群人去錢櫃好樂迪參加聯誼會那種形式,認識交際不同的人,一樣是跟客人單純的閒聊、喝 酒炒熱氣份,但只是變成工作,還有錢可以賺,不好的是因為吸毒而去做酒店,甚至賺錢去養男人這是最笨、最愚蠢的作法。
酒店經紀〝俗稱經紀人〞我們常遇到的女孩子大部分都是單親媽媽要養小孩、要還父母的負債、要實現自己的目標、還有解決自己卡債問題等,這些並沒有什麼不好,人總是因為環境的因素不得已,你只要知道自己最終的目標是什麼就行。另外補充一點,小部分酒店是有做黑的沒錯,但不想做黑的也是大有人在,賣笑不賣身應該有聽過還是可以把大把銀子賺進口袋。
常有女孩們因為報紙裡的高薪而吸引,卻不知道這家酒店的型態而付出更高的犧牲本身在這一行業也有一段時間,真的有像電影裡的故事情節發生,其實女孩們真的因為經濟上的需要而這樣的工作,除了心理要有充足的準備之外,還要先了解這家店的性質,才不會後悔莫及,許多的女孩子對酒店都有很多的不了解就誤入了這個行業,更扯的是有些女孩子被報紙上的小廣告所騙,九成九不是被騙財就是被騙色。

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home