Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Jill Carroll's Story: Part III.



In Part 3 of her story, Jill Carroll writes about the filming of her first video while in captivity. She writes:


I was to say that they were mujahideen fighting to defend their country, that they wanted women freed from Abu Ghraib prison, and the US military, particularly the Marines, were killing and arresting their women and destroying their houses.

And I must cry, on cue.

Abu Rasha donned a jumpsuit and wrapped his head in a kaffiyeh. Two others did the same. I sat down in front of them and the camera rolled.

I started to give my speech. Abu Ali standing behind the camera ran his fingers down his cheeks, to signal that I needed to cry.


It took me a while to work up to the crying part. But I had a lot of pent-up emotion and stress, and by the time we finished, I was crying for real. (Later, I learned that Al Jazeera only aired about 30 seconds - without audio - of that first four-minute tape. The tears were never broadcast.)


Today:
Part III: The First Video

Previous:
Index
Introduction: 82 Days in Captivity
Part I: The Kidnapping
Part II: Spy With A Homing Device

Tomorrow:
Part IV: A Mother As A Suicide Bomber.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home